Historical walk through the convent of St. Francis Vico.
It is in 1481 that the Lord Giovan Paolo de Leca obtains from Pope Sixtus IV a brief allowing him "to raise a convent to the place which he will judge good". After consultation with many religious and lay experts, the locality Paratella is chosen 500 meters east of Nesa and separated from vico by the tributary of Liamone called "Bocadelle"; the sages estimate it at 325 ecus, of which 200 seem to be the part paid by Giovan Paolo de Leca.
As long as he was a powerful lord, he protected the convent he helped to found. He is credited with the gift of the great Christ in polychrome wood called "u Francicone" still venerated today. When from 1486 his relations with Genoa deteriorate the convent is forced to seek survival in gardening, arboriculture and livestock.
Originally the convent built in support of a small chapel dedicated to St. Anthony consists only of small buildings identical to those of the most humble inhabitants of the region and almost 2 centuries later in 1671, a chronicler of the Franciscan province of Corsica writes that "the cells are low and cramped, their soil is in clay, ... real mirrors of poverty! "
During the apostolic visit of Mgr Mascardi in 1589, several dysfunctions were noted involving the holding of the conventual church but also the attitude of the community with little rigor in the respect of the rule and apostolic obligations but force is to note that this community is much more rigorous than the secular clergy (the priest of the Procathedral Saint Marie de Vico lives in notorious concubinage near the church!)
All of this nearly caused the Franciscans who were observant to be replaced by the Reformed who marked the renewal of the order.
The determined reaction of the people of Vico and the region who mobilized to defend the convent community by addressing Rome, no doubt helped to bring about its development; indeed during the 17th century will be built a building wing supported perpendicularly to the church. The old convent was destroyed in 1627 and reconstruction began, it will be completed in 1710 and the convent church which is enriched with a vault above the choir, a steeple garnished with 2 bells operable by the inside, a sacristy with access to a choir organ stand and two side chapels. All these works, carried out as and when financial resources became available, did not interrupt the liturgical service. During the 18th century, the part perpendicular to the wing of the 17th century is made, all forming a "U". Lastly, developments take place in the 19th and 20th centuries:
The "Calvaire" 1878/79 is an altar with altarpiece that was used for large gatherings of the faithful when the church was too small.
Christ is represented surrounded by the Virgin and St John. The plan is conceived by an Oblate Father of the time and performed by the brother of another Father.
The porch bell tower built in 1889 is surmounted by a statue of the Virgin offered by the Bishop of Nice who was an Oblate, Msgr Balain.
The "Albini" room built in the 1990s allows catechesis gatherings or cultural events (conferences, training, music); Positioned perpendicularly to the sheds created for agricultural activities and now used as garages for vehicles, it allows to close the inner courtyard.
- Next >>